Monday, November 22, 2010

My First Brian Henry Writing Course

Welcome to my blog.  It's been quite awhile since I have ventured into the world of blogs and twitter, but I am feeling good about it.

I had the pleasure of attending Brian Henry's "The Secret's of Writing a Page Turner" this past weekend in Gravenhurst with my friend Wayne.   It was my first Brian Henry course but not my first road trip with Wayne.  The drive went quickly even with a detour around the Santa Claus Parade.  The course itself held great information and I believe that it will help strengthen my writing.  As usual though the entertainment of the day was not from the activity itself.

I would like to know if I have an invisible sign, a magnet, that draws those people that like to walk to the beat of their own drummer.  Wayne and I had secured a table with two chairs to avoid, being joined by someone that maybe we wouldn't enjoy the company of.  One and a half hours into the workshop a man arrives to the edge of our table asking to sit with us.  He seemed that he was just a regular writer.  During our time of sharing what we had written and when we left I found out differently.  Our new table companion was a conspiracy theorist.  Normally I am all for a good conspiracy - but please - have your facts checked before telling me your tale.

I will preface this that before this portion of the conversation prior was about aliens, and government officials.  His theory that the "lost" angels are in Los Angeles because as he informed me that is what "Lost Angels" is in Spanish.  After I stopped laughing (internally of course) I corrected him that in Spanish. Los Angeles is The Angels.  He then described the link between witches and wizards and Hollywood because that is what all of their wands are made of Holly.  I again corrected that the traditional wood for a Witch or Wizard would be made of Willow.


He didn't share much after that.  Wayne talked to him a bit more, but I had enough.  Why are the freaks always drawn to come sit next to me and tell me their tale.

Well, I guess it makes life interesting.

Jack

Quote for today: I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there - Charles Bukowski

No comments:

Post a Comment