Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Finding Enough Time for Everything

I know my life isn't unique in my time being in demand most of the time.  Over the last few years my responsibility at the office has increased, my responsibilities in the house are still there, plus other tasks I have taken on voluntarily to be involved in.  I need more time.  With that as it is, I often find my time for brainstorming story ideas to be relegated to the time right before I fall asleep, or in the shower, or while I am driving. None of the locations lending themselves particularly well to recording an idea without issue.  Have you ever tried to record a new plot idea while driving through a snow storm?  It would be so much easier if the ideas came to me while I was sitting at my desk, Word document open with my fingers poised on the keyboard.  - Nothing ever happens that easily!

Two nights ago I was laying in bed and I had a moment.  A character popped into my head and started to tell me she had a story to tell.  As the pieces came together I turned on the light, put my glasses back on, and started to write.  It's one of the better story ideas I have had.  Historical, romantic subplot, and a story that I cannot wait to see how it unfolds.  Where do I find the time to give it the justice it requires? 

Of course if I had an upcoming week in Havana I would just bide my time until I arrived and use my "Michel free" time to bang out my beginning, unfortunately for me, March - my next planned trip to Havana is a long way off.  This won't wait though, this character in my mind needs to get out and onto the page.  I've started my research, the characters are ready to go to paper, now to make the time.  If I could just have 26 hours in a day it would be so much easier.

Jack

People seek within a short span of life to satisfy a thousand desires, each of which is insatiable.
- Oliver Goldsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment