Monday, November 19, 2012

Kitchen Adventures: Blackened Basa Tacos with Pineapple Mango Salsa

I ventured down to Vaughan a couple of weeks ago to have a meal with a new friend.  Of course neither of us knew exactly where we were going, or where the better restaurants were, so we ended up at a roadhouse style chain named Turtle Jacks.

I decided on their blackened basa tacos with mango pineapple salsa.  They came served with fries (not overly Mexican).  I am very picky when it comes to Mexican food but I have to say I was happy with my choice.  It had good flavor and I really liked how the mango and pineapple played with the fish.    Of course mango pineapple salsa isn't a new idea, but it is a new to me idea because previously I resisted the idea of mixing savory with the sweet of fruit.

Upon my return home I decided to try and replicate what I had that night, except for the fries. I headed to the internet to research different salsa recipes, and blackening spices.  I made a few changes to the recipes, and headed to the kitchen.

Blackened Basa tacos with Pineapple Mango Salsa
The End Result: Blackened Basa Tacos with Pineapple Mango Salsa

N.B.  I apologize for the poor quality of the photograph, but it was on the Blackberry, and I was hungry.

Blackening Rub:

2 tsp ground paprika
4 tsp ground thyme
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp ground cumin

We rubbed the basa fillets with the blackening seasoning and pan fried them off (rather than grilling it was cold out) in a skillet with a bit of butter in it.

Mango Pineapple Salsa:

1 cup diced pineapple
3/4 cup diced mango
1/2 cup diced tomato (seeded)
1/3 cup diced cucumber
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 -2 jalapeno peppers seeded and diced
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
lime zest
Chopped Cilantro - I never measure cilantro - but if I was guessing 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp of it
1 tsp olive oil (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and adjust taste to personal preferences.  After mixing put in the fridge 1-2 hours before serving so the flavors start to blend.


I served the fish and salsa on flour tortillas I had warmed up with a side of cilantro rice.

I think it would be better in the summer with grilled fish rather than fried, but overall it was a good kitchen adventure! - unlike my Blueberry crisp I tried to make last night . . .  but that's another story.

J.








No comments:

Post a Comment