Tuesday, November 20, 2012

All Kinds of Crafty

I posted a link in the Facebook yesterday so anyone who was interested could stop by for a visit on my now resuscitated blog and my cousin in law shared a link to her blog.  She is all kinds of crafty, so if you are interested Robins Remarkables is a fun place to visit as well.

Dominoes in Cuba
It did get me thinking about my latest craft project, which was a domino table.  Why would someone need a special table to throw bones you ask?  A lo Cubano.  (Translation: It's a Cuban thing)  After all the trips I have made, and the numerous games of dominoes I have played I noticed that every house has a domino table.   I've spent many hours around them, sipping rum, enjoying tobacco and throwing bones.  Of course in Cuba most are fairly simple and plain, but I have saw a few ornate ones.    I did a bit of googling when I returned home and decided on a design and put it into action!

Finishd table top
It essentially is a removable top that can be set down over any card or accent table.  I have decorated it with 28 vintage Cuban postcards that I printed off on a high quality paper stock.  The cards are protected with a sheet of plexiglass which also makes for a very smooth surface for playing.  For domino holders I sanded down four pieces of dowel, stained them dark brown and adhered 4 Guantanamera cigar bands - yes from real cigars! Currently there are 4 un banded Cuban cigars in my home . . .  I might give them to Americans since they are now essentially unmarked contraband.

 
After sanding and staining the finished piece is something I am proud of and it looks beautiful in the rec room!


My Domino Table 

Who wants to play dominoes?

J.



No comments:

Post a Comment