Monday, May 2, 2011

A Day of Change

I awoke to the news as most did that Osama Bin Laden had been killed.  I doubt that I need to give any run down of his horrible crimes, or any other information other than people seem glad that he is dead.  I cannot seem to even muster a bit of pity for the man.  I do however fear for the future.  As with all villains, there is always someone waiting in the wings, much worse, and much more evil to take the the villains place. 

I also received an article that I had been reading about last week about proposed changes in Cuba.  Talk of the end of the ration card system, the sale of cars and property.  Of course, this is just talk.  Raul is slowly taking a more public stance now that his brother has officially stepped back.  Raul brought the Cubans, cell phones and DVD players previously.  From experience I know though that the cell system is expensive, and not everyone has a cell phone.  To give a freedom that is unobtainable by most?  Is it really still freedom?  I suspect the sale of houses and cars will bring more freedom to my favorite little island.  Raul's plan though, does not address how someone who makes the equivalent to $25 per month can afford any of these new freedoms or even dream to afford them when everything else is including food is an unreachable goal.  The elimination of the ration card system should bring more food to the table, more than the existing monthly allowance of 7 eggs, 1 loaf of bread, 1 lb of chicken and a bar of soap, but with more and more Cubans out of work, excessive lay offs happening in all industries in Cuba, what shall they use to buy these soon to be uncontrolled items?  I hope it flows evenly to them, but I somehow suspect that for the Cubans, the hunger, and the days of condom pizzas are far from over.

I should not be so cynical.  Of course the beginning of every journey starts with a single step.

No comments:

Post a Comment